What is an auction sniper?
- It is an automated bidding system which puts in the highest bid seconds before the end of the auction.
How do I use an auction sniper?
- decide which one to use (do an internet search and see which ones are on the top of the list)
- give your eBay username and password (if you choose a reputable one like Bidnapper, it is perfectly safe to do so)
- put in the auction number
- think very carefully while you are calm and collected, what maximum amount you would would be prepared to pay.
- set your maximum amount
- sit back and wait
- your sniper will tell you if you have been outbid so that you can choose to increase your maximum amount before the end of the auction.
Why do I need one?
- if you get caught up in bidding wars and end up spending crazy money on something you didn’t really want that much
- if you bid on auctions which end at awkward times – in the middle of the night, when you are in meeting or away from your computer
- if you find bidding stressful
- if you tend to forget to bid
- so that people do not know you are interested in the item until it is too late to counter your bid
- it does not drive the price up as the eBay automatic bidding system does
- you can cancel your bid or change it until just before the auction ends
- to win!
But I use eBay automated bidding…
- eBay automatic bidding is not the same as an auction sniper. Yes you can set your maximum amount and it will bid for you BUT
- it starts bidding immediately
- every time someone bids, your automatic bid kicks in, driving the price up
- you cannot reduce or cancel your automatic bid after you have set it
- people know you are interested which often causes bidding frenzies
How expensive are they?
- Free. Most of them have pay versions with slightly shorter lead times but I have never lost an auction using a free sniper.
Aren’t they like cheating?
Some people think so but they are free and available to anyone so no, I don’t think so.
Have you ever lost an auction using a sniper?
Once or twice when my maximum bid was too low. But I didn’t mind because I had carefully thought out beforehand how much I was prepared to pay.
Which are your favorite ones?