As I write this, I have been working from home for a year. Initially I was told we would be back on site after Easter, then by summer, then after summer, then by Christmas. After that no one even tried to make predictions any longer.
- In the beginning I wore makeup, jewellery and my usual clothes. My hair was loose.
- After a while I wore makeup, jewellery, and my usual clothes on the top half. On the bottom half I wore tracksuit pants, and my hair was in a bun.
- After that I wore lipstick, a bun, and a plain black t shirt with jewellery. I dyed my brows and lashes.
- Now I wear no makeup at all. My brows and lashes are not dyed. I wear a plain black t shirt and no jewellery except my wedding and engagement rings, and studs in my ears. My hair is in a bun and I have dark roots. I am very pale.
And on my screen I have seen the same development in the people I meet in cyberspace. I see hoodies, makeup-less faces, messy buns. I also see the same tiredness and hopelessness in their faces as I see in mine.
And how to celebrate this dubious anniversary?
On the plus side I have:
- not had to buy monthly travel cards each month, saving $100 per month
- not bought my almost- daily latte ($4 four days a week)
- been able to sleep an hour longer each morning
- have not bought any clothes for a year
- had way fewer clothes – especially socks – to wash
- been able to schedule meetings closer together as I no longer have to get from place to place
- not had to buy makeup remover or makeup in over a year