- Emojis were invented in Japan by Shigetaka Kurita and first appeared on mobile phones in 1999.
- The Oxford dictionary named the emoji that has tears of laughter its word of 2015. The emoji is called ‘face with tears of joy’
- World Emoji Day is 17 July
- Netspeak (LOL, ROFL) has declined with the increased use of emojis
- Emojis are particularly useful in countries where smartphone use is high but functional literacy is low
- There are now professional emoji translators…
Categories: Articles, Culture