Vest vs waitcoat

Apart from the pants vs. trousers conundrum, another British vs American English difference is vest vs. waistcoat.

In British English, this is a waistcoat

and this is a vest

But sometimes there is cultural confusion with American items sold in Europe.

And I am not sure whether a singlet or tank-top is the same as what we call a vest?

Author: Janet Carr

Fashion, beauty and animal loving language consultant from South Africa living in Stockholm, Sweden.

One thought

Leave a Reply