I was therefore fascinated to see this one made from tan Barenia leather. Isn’t it gorgeous! And what’s not to love about Hermès leather?
I used Barenia leather for this cover. This leather was originally used for Hermes saddles and is without a doubt one of the finest leathers available. The high grade calf leather features a wonderfully smooth exterior with a hint of gloss which allows it to dazzle. The leather is completely scratch resistant due to the oil absorbing material, also making it water resistant and ideal for the rainy season. The only tiny drawback to this leather is that it develops patina over time.
Thickness : 1.6mm thick leather which make the cover 3.2 mm thick at the spine and flaps.
The cover is 300 x 220 mm opened with a 2 inches spine
- I decided to reinforce the spine with some leather and some stiffener to help the cover to stay in good shape.
- As it was a prototype I decided to add 1 flap and 1 card slot on each side. Enough to keep at least 2 credit cards and tickets, papers under the flaps.
- 4 elastics for the 2 inches spine which allows to store a tremendous number of inserts.
- All edges are sand and painted with 3 layers or paint…. lot of work and love in that cover
- I had to use some books for the pictures as I dont have enough inserts to fill it up
This cover is stitched by hand and contains about 6 metres of thread!
The price of this one is €70 + €10 shipping which is a really good price. I know everyone who buys online agrees with me when I say, we really appreciate decent shipping charges!
When you go to the shop, there is a pull down menu which shows the sizes available and the prices. Below you can see the prices are in Swedish crowns because Etsy knows I am in Sweden, but it will reflect your local currency when you use it.
And another in the same leather, with a 1.5″ spine. I love!