- the population of the EU is estimated at between 497 and 501 million.
- the largest country in the EU population-wise is Germany with 82 million people
- least populous country in the EU is Malta with 0.4 million people
- Second most populous country after Germany is France with 65 million people. However, should Turkey accede to the EU, it will be the second most densely populated (after Germany and before France) with its 78 million people.
- The 12 stars on the EU flag symbolise NOT member states but unity, harmony and perfection.
- Austria was prevented from entering the EU because of its official status of neutrality. After the end of the Cold War and the breakup of the Soviet Union, there was no need for Austria to continue a ‘balancing act’ between East and West as this division no longer existed. It applied to join in 1989 and acceded in 1995.
- Greenland is the only country ever to have left the EU. They joined as part of Denmark.
Categories: The EU